ENCON GREEN CLUB - SJCET Unit Profile
About the College
St.Joseph’s College of Engineering & Technology, Palai is a new generation Engineering established in 2002 under the Catholic diocese of Palai. Situated in a scenic and picturesque location at the foot hills of high range mountains, the campus provides an environment conductive to learning and achieving the academic and professional aspirations of the students. The College has introduced many innovative energy saving practices right from its inception.
To be a leading provider of technical education programmes and related services of the highest quality and standards of excellence to meet the demands of business, industry and the community and thereby to contribute to India’s socio-economic progress.
Energy Conservation and Environmental related issues of St.Joseph’s College of Engineering & Technology, Palai are taken by the below mentioned clubs/units in the college.
· ENCON GREEN CLUB
· NSS Unit of SJCET
ENCON GREEN CLUB – SJCET
Energy & Environmental Conservation CLUB
[Affiliated to BPCL Kochi Refineries]
To Inculcate an Eco friendly and Energy saving Mind among the Younger generation.
About the ENCON GREEN CLUB
The ENCON GREEN CLUB of SJCET was started by the Electrical Engineering Department to give focus to its Energy Conservation activities
The ENCON GREEN CLUB of SJCET focuses on the activities mentioned below
• Creating awareness among the students about need of Energy conservation
• Promoting Energy Efficient Research Projects
• Energy Auditing
• Power Squad Formation
• Effective utilization of Renewable Energy Technologies
• Promoting Eco friendly Culture among youth
“Our goal is to be as self reliant as much as possible in energy and water, and for our campus to be an example”.
The ENCON GREEN CLUB of SJCET was inaugurated on 12th of October 2009 by the Chief Guest Mr. Siva Sankaran, Rtd. Dy. Chief Engineer, KSEB. An inaugural speech on “Energy Environment and Sustainable Development” was delivered by the Chief Guest.
Latest Events Conducted
ENKOMION’09 – Intra Collegiate Competitions was organized by the ENCON GREEN club on 7th and 9th of October 2009 with the events
· Technical Writing Competition on Energy Star Ratings by BEE
· Painting Competition on Energy Conservation for the future.
· Cartooning Competition on Energy Conservation at home.
Projects Undertaken by ENCON GREEN CLUB
1. Implementation of Bio gasification in SJCET
2. Energy Analysis in Computer and related applications
3. Electrical Energy Consumption Pattern Analysis of SJCET
4. Waste Water Treatment / Rain water Harvesting and its Environmental Effects in SJCET – A case study
5. Feasibility Study of Renewable Energy Technologies in SJCET
Major Energy and Environmental Conservation measures
· Maintaining eco friendly campus
· Biogasification units in the hostels and canteen
· Effective water treatment systems
· Rain water harvesting
· Solar water heating for the hostels and canteen
· Meteorological measurements including rain gauges
· Effective power factor compensation by APFC panels
· Promoting energy efficient projects
· Creating awareness for the students and staff about the need for energy conservation
Major Energy Conservation Projects/ Campaigns / Seminars conducted during the year 2008-2009
Energy & Environmental related Projects Implemented at SJCET
· Implementation of Bio gasification in St.Joseph’s College of Engineering & Technology
· Waste Water Treatment / Rain water Harvesting
· Solar Water heating
· Steam Cooking
· Dish Washing
· Power Squad formation for proper shut down of electrical appliances in the college after their usage
· Keeping the campus clean
· Energy awareness campaign was conducted for the public as well as students in 2008 & 2009
A National Conference on “ Emerging Trends on Power Systems & Energy Management” was conducted jointly with Electrical Engineering Department of SJCET.
The Conference opened a new window to visualize and learn the upcoming trends in Power Systems and Energy Management. This conference was an ideal platform for the discussion on various upcoming Energy Efficient Technologies and the latest developments in power system scenario. The conference was an avenue for Researchers, Academicians and Practicing Engineers to share their views and to find a right answer for their technical queries.
A Student National Seminar on Power and Energy related topics, Electrum Caritez’09 was conducted jointly with Electrical Engineering Association.
12 Technical Papers selected from various Engineering Colleges were presented in the National Seminar on various Energy Technologies and Power systems. Along with National Seminar various other events like Power Quiz and Best Manager Competitions were also held .
ENCON GREEN CLUB of SJCET is deeply acknowledging its gratitude to BPCL – Kochi Refineries for their guidance and timely suggestions for making this club active .
Our Forthcoming Events Include
· Handing over of “ Energy Analysis Report of SJCET ” to the college management
· Publishing of Research works done by the ENCON GREEN CLUB members in the Campus